Sunday, June 8, 2008

A Week to Remember

Wow! I can't believe its been over a week since we arrived. We were all talking about it yesterday, it seems so fast and yet so slow. It feels like we've been here for months and yet we can't believe its been a week already. It's a strange feeling but I would attribute it to the amazing leaps and bounds we've all taken spiritually already and the amazing friendships we have already created in such a short time.
As soon as I receive a call back I will officially be working at a little clothing shop with three locations called Island Girl. I am super excited about it and even though I was offered a position at the Holiday Inn, I can tell that this is where I am supposed to work this summer. I will also be working with one of my SummerLink friends, Stephanie. =)
This week was full and fun, with some relaxing. It was a long week of job hunting and applying. I will give you the highlights quickly. Monday night was our first celebration time together, a short service of worship and getting into the Word. Tuesday night we had our first Bible study, an awesome sharing time to get to know one another as roomates and a Bible study. Wednesday I had a discipleship time with my leader Becca, who is amazing. She is a challenge for me and accountability partner who is a great example and loves the Lord with all her heart. After reflection night Wednesday night on the beach I was able to talk with a Mennonite woman and her daughter who are here on vacation. It was neat for me because she is from the same area in Pennsylvania that I am from.
Thursday night was for men's/women's times which were wonderful times for both groups. Friday we had free time which we used going to a restaurant on the water and then mini golfing. Saturday was a tiring day but we had a Sports day in the park for kids and parents to come and play games, face paint and get free food and snow cones. About 25 kids and their parents were able to make it and we had a chance to spread the Crosspoint name in the community as well as a few chances to witness to people and spread Christ's love. This morning was the second preview service of Crosspoint Bluffton which was held in a movie theater. A great crowd showed up and everything went smoothly. The pastor, Carl shared a simple but heartfelt message and God gave us even more witnessing opportunities.
Praise God for all he is doing and his amazing love and joy that is given to us to share with those who need him. I have never felt so alive and refreshed in the Lord, despite Satan's attempts to discourage. We are in such a needy place, a bubble of vacationers and locals and foreign students and families here to work. Everywhere we look there are lost souls, and as Carl said today, the Lord was here long before us, working and preparing hearts ahead of time. Now He is here with us and as we follow His will, He will draw many to himself in the way that only He can. It's such an exciting purpose to be a part of and the most satisfying and fulfilling life to lead!
Last night after the sport's day we spent about 20 minutes prayer walking around the outside of the theater where we would meet this morning. It was such a cool experience looking around the plaza and seeing our people walking, sitting, leaning against a railing, and knowing that together all of us were wrapping that place in one of the most powerful things on earth: prayer. It might seem weird, but it was like in a movie when the government agents are involved in a mission. They are posted all around the area and as you scan, you know who your partners are, those supporting you, those involved in the mission. The rest of those in the area are the civilians, those you are there to protect. As we walked around, I felt like we were God's agents with a mission to protect and touch those around us with prayer, even though they had no idea who we were or what we were doing there. Looking around I could see our group spread out and blend in with everyone else. But even as we blended, we could see eachother and know we were a team, there for an important purpose.
Well, I have written much more than I planned and there is still so much more left I could write. So many great conversations and wonderful acts of God's love have taken place. I have posted a picture slideshow of some of the week's happenings. Hope you all had a great weekend and have a fabulous week!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily,
I feel like you picked a very appropriate way to apply yourself in the Lord, spreading His love and Word to everybody down in Bluffton. If you can be so effective there as you have been in encouraging me to become closer to the Lord and making me comfortable with talking about Him with other people then I’m sure you’ll accomplish everything you’ve set out to do down there. And, of course, I do hope the Holiday Inn treated you well and gave you a job today!

Emily said...

Thank you pookie pooh! =) haha. You really encourage me and I appreciate what you said so much. I did not get the job at HI after all but that just means more trusting in the Lord to provide. Pray!

Anonymous said...

I love mini-golf...!

...and you...

...sorta.